Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Prompt for Visual Art Project

When I asked people what kinds of assignments they wanted to complete this semester, a few people said that wanted to do something visual (and, no, it wasn't the artists in the class, so don't blame them!). So, create a piece of visual art influenced by what we have done in class.

When I say visual, I'm keeping things broad. Record a video that you post to YouTube where you read one of your original poems or essays and let strong, evocative images flow behind the words. Create a collage that represents something we have read or your feelings about an event we discussed (e.g., 9/11, Abu Ghraib). Take a series of photographs that represent some of the ideas about photography that Sontag described.

You should also submit a one to two page statement to me that describes what your tried to do in this project. Describe your goals and your influences. For example, what have we read or seen that provided you with a sense of direction? What did you want this final project to look like? The biggest thing I'll be looking for in this project is not your artistic ability but the thinking behind it, so this document should have some detail to it. I want to know that you put serious thought to this project. It's not enough to put a black dot on a big piece of paper and say this represents the isolation that Precious felt in Push. But you could do a collage that does the same thing where you choose particular images and colors that your statement describes.

If you create something digital, email it to me (or a link to where it appears on line). If you create something else, bring it to my office. Whatever you do, I need to have your art piece and your statement by 3:00 PM on Friday, April 10. I will be in my office on Thursday from 2:00-3:00 or Friday from 1:30-3:00 if you'd like to deliver it in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment